Sunday, November 13, 2011

Cake Pops

I was inspired yesterday, I'm not sure why, but I decided to try my hand at making some Cake pops. Turns out, thanks to great advice from Bakerella and Kristine from Way More Than Cake, they are super simple and really cute! I started out with some scraps of dark chocolate cake that I had stored in my freezer. I crumpled them up into little chunks and mixed in some vanilla buttercream icing (I also had extra in the freezer) and combined it until it formed its own sort of dough like consistency, almost like cookie dough. I used a tablespoon to measure equal amounts and rolled each tablespoon into a ball. Then chilled them in the fridge for about 20 minutes.




Then I melted some candy melts and rolled the end of the stick in it before I inserted it into the cake ball (this helps to hold it in place). Once I had all the sticks in place I melted more candy melts and added some shortening to thin the candy (paramount crystals work too). I dipped the balls into the candy and coated evenly. Then tapped the stick to remove any access candy and sprinkled with multi-colored sprinkles around the ball. I stuck the sticks in a piece of Styrofoam to dry and then wrapped them up and tied it all with a piece of ribbon.

These fun treats are perfect sized for favor gifts, school birthday celebrations, etc! I think they are one of my new favorite things! For decorative ideas and more POP fun check out either the Wilton website or Bakerella.com. And as always, Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment